RCU Forums - View Single Post - spectrum pros and cons.
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spectrum pros and cons.

I've read alot of good things and a spackling of some bad things with the Nomandio. I do like the Nomadio Sensor since it is a 2.4 GHz radio that was designed from the ground up.
I love the fact that is sofware upgradeable and it now has a 4th channel capability from simple a software upgrade!
I also love that the telemetry options are desigend into the receiver (excuse me, a TRANSCEIVER) as a single receiver and telemetry transmitter. The Spektrum has the fault of making your car or truck look like an octopus as well as the weight of a seperate telemetry module.
I would order me a Sensor, but the primary thing that holds me back is $$$!

I instead have scored great deals on 2 Futaba 3PK's. My 1st 3PK I got half off on a liquidation sale when a local RC store closed down. The second I got used from ebay. I got both for less than $175 each!
I also scored 2 DSM receivers (Spektrum) and one DSM module for 3PK all for less than $50! (As you probaly found out already, I'm pretty cheap, but I try to get the good stuff).
I have to program the 3PK's for PPM (normal FM setting) to use the DSM module, but I found out that Spektrum now makes a DSM module capable of HRS setting. I might give that a try I I can get some $$$ or find a great deal somewhere.
I have some trepidation about obtaining the telemetry package; I've heard too many bad things about them (the temnp gage doesn't work, the voltage reader is wrong, the RPM reader fails and does not always send speed, etc.).

But in all, my experience with 3PK and DSM module has been a good experience and I have'nt had any problems. I get what I expected out of the combo. A great radio and the benefits of 2.4GHz (no glitch, no crystals or even changing synth channels, etc.).