RCU Forums - View Single Post - problems with my DA50????
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
tiktock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my DA50????

hi, i've got a few problems with my DA50. just a quick history about the engine....
when i got the engine, i also bought a bisson muffler and a bolly 22x8 prop for running in. the only mineral oil that i could find was castrol 2T and was running it at 32:1.
after running the engine and setting the needle, the max rpm that i was getting was 6300. someone suggested i cut the tip off the muffler and after cutting it i got 6600 rpm.
while doing all of this...... out of my first 6 flights i had 3 dead sticks and almost lost my plane.
then i changed my oil to pennzoil, changed my ignition battery and re-setting the needle and then the engine became a bit reliable. then i changed my prop to a menz 22x8 and i got my rpm to 7K
after about 15 flights i changed my oil to Motul 800 at 50:1 and the engine was running well.

now i have about 20 flights and the last time i went to fly and everytime i turned inverted or was in a up or down line,
the engine wanted to quit. the only thing i had changed was my vent line which was hanging about 2 to 3 inches from the bottom of the plane. someone said that that could possibly be the reason.
anyway, i fixed that and tried to run the engine on the ground, it ran unreliably and i was only getting 6600 rpm again. thought there might be dirt in my carb so, i opened it and found some dirt and cleaned it.
also, the carb bolts ware loose and i tightened them. now i'm still getting not more than 6600 rpms. why did my rpms dropped from 7k to 6.6K? and what makes that happen?
i live at sea level and it's very hot and dry weather. i have really played with both the needles and turned them from 2 turns to 1 turn to see what happens. but i cant get more then 6.6K.
i using a 6v nimh battery which fully charged shows 6.7v to 7v so, i don't think it my battery.
anyway, any input on what's happening will be helpful.

sorry for the long history.....thanks