RCU Forums - View Single Post - ZDZ problem resolved
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
texomalaser
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ problem resolved

See post number 23!!!! (Problem resolved)

I have had 2 ZDZ 80's. One super 80 and an RV. The first one was the RV engine. I flown it for about 3 monthes and it burned up. I sent it in and RC showcase said there was trash in the carb screen causing it to run lean and burn up. Funny thing is I run a filter on all my planes, and in my fuel jug. So I ate the repairs on this motor. While this motor was in the shop I ordered a new ZDZ Super 80. This motor never did run right and did weird things. I called numerous times to RC Showcase and they had no answers. They just kept telling me how good all the other motors have been running and there shouldnt be any problems with this engine. Well I finnaly got it through break in and it still never ran right but it was tollerable. But about the 7th gallon of fuel during flight the motor wouldnt idle down. And then the motor just seized up in flight. I deadsticked the plane and began taking the cowling off and thats when I noticed the block was cracked. I took the plane home and removed the engine and took pictures of it and sent it to RC Showcase. I got a reply and was told it was due to a foreign object being ingested throught the carb. I then called them and while i was on the phone I noticed then that the carb throttle butterfly/plate screw was missing. I was instructed to send the motor back in to RC Showcase for inspection. Later I called to see what was found and was told that the motor was a complete write off and ZDZ probably wouldnt warranty this. It was also noticed that the carb was removed and put back on by me which is true. The reason is because it is a rear carb and I have to do that for engine installation through firewall. But I never had to remove anyscrews but the main carb mount screws. Why would I have to remove the butterfly screws to do this? But it was made to sound like I had modified the carb becasue I removed it and I applied a little red RTV silicon on it for sealant. After all said and done the motor is coming back to me not warrantied. ZDZ would not warranty a screw coming out of there carb and destroying my engine? I have called other manufacturers and they said they would warranty such a thing. I was also told it was hard for ZDZ to warranty anything.
This is a big loss of money for a motor I had for only 4 weeks. I must say buyer beware of this brand of engine. They may run good when you get a good one but God forbid anything happen to it. They just wont stand behind ther product. Even though they give you 30 monthes warranty they wont honor it at all.

Sad pilot,
Scott S.