RCU Forums - View Single Post - COX Micro Warbirds
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
franklydude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COX Micro Warbirds

Successful maiden for my first P-51! well kinda.....

For some reason Cox products don't seem to find their way over to the UK. I picked up my Micro Warbird mustang at a retail stand at a model show, a one off "reduced" from £30 to £20.... that's still a lot more than $20 you guys in the states can buy them for! I don't know who if anyone distributes them in the UK.

I'm an inexperienced pilot & since finally gluing it together, have been too scared to "give it a shove". Tonight, wifey said let's take our doggy for a walk round the village green. it was calm so I grabbed the little bird & my Tx. She said "oh how embarrassing" ie to be seen with my toy plane. Anyway, I gave it a gentle shove into the air! & away it went, quite gracefully, at about 3/4 throttle, a few turns and near misses, then I cut the motor & landed without any damage. second flight I was too slow to react and a tree caught it. Some minor damage, a cracked fuselage and dented wing.

Anyway, am very pleased it flew as well and as stably as it did. Will find a bigger place to practise next time!

My Mustang is almost stock, rudder/elevator & comes out at about 120gm (4.25oz)
Stock Motor & propeller (I have a neat Graupner CAM prop alternative to try)
Kokam 340mAH 2s1p pack ~21gm
2 x Blue Arrow XY-MS-3.7 servos, about 4.4gm when I measure them without any lightening.
"Laishing Model" 35MHz Rx with standard crystal, ~8gm without antenna ($4 cheapo 4ch/fm rx from ebay/china)
Home made mini antenna (10uH choke and about 9" of very thin piano wire glued to inside fuselage) ~1gm
GWS ICS100Li 5A LiPoly ECS ~5gm

The cheapo receiver is reasonably tiny (~23mm x 13mm x 37mm) but a tight fit in the mustang.
My c.of.g came out a little forward of the 1.125"! suggested, because of the weight and shape of the 340 lipo.

Hope I can persuade a few other brits to try 'em!

My hobby costs me wayyyyyyy less than what my wifey costs me!