RCU Forums - View Single Post - I want to make a fiberglass Cessna...
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
T-crafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to make a fiberglass Cessna...

Just like the title says, I want to make a fiberglass Cessna. An 06' Skylane Turbo to be exact. I want to make it about one !QUOT!size!QUOT! larger than the Top Flite Model 182 (about a 1.2 - 1.8 size). Here is what I have been thinking of doing to build a plug given my recourses. Please let me know if you think this will work or not:

1. Generate a model of the Cessna using Pro Engineer - this should only take me a little while and I can be very detailed with the doors/gear/and small scale details.

2. Have the model rapid prototyped in halves out of plastic/nylon

3. Smooth the surface using bondo and sandpaper preparing it for paintwork

4. then I can paint the plug, wax it and all that good stuff...

I have never made a mold before using plugs so let me know if anything looks like it will not work. I see most of the guys here use foam and plywood formers to make plugs I was just thinking this would be faster and I have access to a lot of the tools I need. Will I be able to remove the plug from the female mold in tact or will the plug be destroyed? What provisions are taken to allow for hinging the vertical stab to the rudder - are pieces of wood added to the tail behind the fiberglass for this? Can I add wood pieces in the cabin area for servos and electronics after I have the fuse sides joined? Also once I have the two fiberglass halves how do I join them - just glue them together?

Thanks for helping a newbie! Oh yeah... anyone want to buy a Cessna Skylane Turbo kit when I am done???