RCU Forums - View Single Post - About to start first build
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 PM
manks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: About to start first build

ORIGINAL: MadDriver

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on building the sport wing because I was reading around here that the trainer wing was a little... too stable. I was planning on just using rubber bands to hold the wing on since that's what I had when I was flying my dads trainer. A little more forgiving, but are there any other advantages to this? Both seem easy enough get get on and off, so I see no other advantage.
For your first trainer, use the rubber bands, but remember use a minimum of 8 to fly. If you make the classic mistake of using 2 you will have spent 60 hours building a lawn dart.

I built a second PT 40 because I wanted the sport wing rather than the trainer wing, there is just too much angle in the A wing and it makes flying in any cross wind very difficult.

You also have to be careful of the lenth of screws you use on the nose hatch, I had a problem with the screw hitting my throttle rod. The front gear is also a bit messy, make sure there is enough room between the firewall and the back of the engine, mine is a bit too close and it is a pain to work on if the tail wheel needs adjustment - I have to take the motor off which easily doubles the amount of time I need to spend on a silly little problem.

The plane is pretty tough, I have banged mine around quite a bit, and it is still in good shape.

You may want to get a set of skis for winter flying as well, that would be some fun up there on a frozen lake.

If you run into any problems please feel free to PM me or post a note here, I am just finishing my second PT 40 now so alot of things are still fresh in my mind.