RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro tuning?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Nitro tuning?

ORIGINAL: 1outlaw

I would think a radar gun would be the best way.....Even adding the little weight you do with a small handheld it may effect balance......JMO though.... [sm=wink_smile.gif]
IMO, GPS is better. I've tried using radar and it is very tough to get it to recognize that something is moving. It has to be coming directly towards the gun holder. LOL Plus it only records max speed while your wife or friend is holding it. GPS records max speed from launch to bringing it in.

Many people just throw the GPS in anywhere not even thinking about balance and they never notice any differences. I also don't believe 3.1oz is slowing me down. I have done some experimenting with only giving myself 6oz of fuel and then another run with a full 12 oz. Runs were within .5 of a km/h ( .31mph )
My boat weighs 12oz lighter when my tank dries up, I don't believe the 3.1oz's of the Geko has any effect on it in any way.
If you are worried about balance just place the GPS over the CofG of the boat.

When you use a GPS to measure speed is there just a function that you record top speed with? Is there such a thing as a GPS with a TX and RX so that you can see the display on shore? Also about how much does one need to spend to get one that is accurate enough that you can detect relatively minor increases in speed that you gain from tweaking things?
1. Find a GPS that records Maximum speed (not all do)
2. Not that I know of. Maybe the high end 2.4Ghz radio?
3. The Garmin etrex is cheap. Most GPS systems are accurate to +/-0.1mph. I would recommend getting the Geko as it is much smaller. Plus you can use it for other application, not just R/C.

Just for instance, if I have made 5 back to back runs, usually all of them will have different top speed readings. It may vary between 1km/h but its hard to repeat runs to the nearest .1mph.
Any changes you have made to the boat in terms of mods or adjustments can be easily recognized by the GPS. They are AMAZINGLY accurate!

Ryan