RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Recty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

As far as needle settings go on the Evo .46, with both high and low speed needles, this is what I recommend.

Warm your engine up. Rev to full throttle for 5 seconds or so, then pinch the fuel line closed. Your engine should almost immediately pick up in RPM by a couple hundred, then stop.

If your engine dies immediately with no RPM gain, you're too lean. If it revs quite a bit and keeps on running for more than just a moment, you're too rich.

Once you get that adjusted, go to your low speed. Run the engine (again warm) at ful throttle for 10 seconds, then drop it back down to idle. Let it sit for 3-4 seconds, then pinch the fuel line closed. If it dies right away, your low speed is too lean. If it raises in RPM a little then dies quickly, your right on. If it raises in RPM quite a bit, and for a long period of time, and keeps sputtering and trying to run, then you are too rich.

Hope that helps.

And to answer your other question, I only ever take off in short grass, which makes the plane not as hard to handle, in my opinion. I used to take off on the concrete pathway by the field I fly in, and with no restrictive grass on the wheels it tends to pull left a lot harder.

I basically just go about 1/4 throttle to get it rolling, and once it has a little speed, I just open it wide up and get off the ground as fast as possible. Since I'm already rolling, it only takes 2-3 seconds to get into the air, if even that long. Usually it doesnt even have time to steer to the left, but occasionally it does. I guess I dont really have a good answer, except that I've found slow starts then wide open throttle tends to be better/straigher takeoffs than going from either 0% power to 100%, or trying to do a long smooth takeoff.