RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?
Old 02-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to Learn to Fly

To the above answers, I would like to add that the length of time to learn to fly also depends on the individual. Specifically, his age, dexterity, vision, hand-eye coordination, and other personal factors.

Older people, 60's and up, tend to take longer to tech. the young guys, 10-15, sometimes solo in 2 or 3 flights. They have reflexes like a cat and have no fear of losing the plane- it's usually just another toy to them. RC car drivers also learn quickly-they already know how to steer backwards.

If you are really a klutz then it is going to take longer than if you are really coordinated. Those that grew up with, and are good at, video games tend to have an easier time.

I have had some students who refused to wear glasses even though they used them for driving.

You need to do a realistic self-assessment of your abilities and factor this into the length-of-time equation.

Finally, if you are a parent on a father-son learning together set up, don't even think about competing with your young son. Go at your own speed.