RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Ray Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?
Hi Ptarmigan,

The answer to this question is, "A Lifetime", since piloting is "a work in progress", and no pilot will ever get to the point that they couldn't learn something more about controlling an airplane in flight or on the ground. If you mean to ask, "How long does it take to solo an R/C model airplane?"...then my experience so far indicates a typical stick time of about 10 hours.

As an R/C flight instructor, I require my students to demonstrate three consecutive take-offs and landings, with taxi back to the pilot station at completion, to earn their solo certificates. Typical students, who have no prior experience with model airplane flying, can usually accomplish their solo demonstration flights after about 8 to 12 hours of dual instruction at my school. Since they typically get 2 hours of stick-time per day, the time to solo, in days, is about 4 to 6.

There is a list of graduates, with pictures, and posted stick-times required to solo on my web site ( www.hobbiesaloft.com ) under the option "Graduates". As you can see from this list, about 8 to 10 hours is typical.

Good question for the Beginners Forum

Ray Smith
R/C Flight Instructor
Owner, Hobbies Aloft R/C Flight School