RCU Forums - View Single Post - How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?
Old 02-05-2002, 01:26 AM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: How Long Does It Take To Learn RC Flying?

Originally posted by Ray Smith

If you mean to ask, "How long does it take to solo an R/C model airplane?"...then my experience so far indicates a typical stick time of about 10 hours.
Hi Ray, I've spent some time at your web site with your comparison of the kinesthetic method vs the buddy box. Interesting! Unfortunately, I've already learned (with a buddy box), so I can't try your method out! I agree with most of what you said about the buddy box, with the following comments:

1. You say the buddy box is almost useless in preventing crashes on landing. I disagree. The buddy box can save a plane from many types of landing errors, such as flying too slowly or too fast, being way off the runway, etc.

2. I agree your method sounds better for the student, but it seems to me that the average time to learn with kinesthetic is about the same as for learning with a buddy box. Is the only benefit of kinesthetic over the buddy box that you don't crash airplanes?

My question is where does the instructor stand (instructing an adult)? Side by side, or behind with arms around? I see only a few pictures on your web site, and they're with youths.