RCU Forums - View Single Post - Converting 3 channel to 4
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 AM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting 3 channel to 4

Ailerons aren't very different at all. When using ailerons, you just use banking and pulling back on the elevator to excecute a turn. If you have ever flown a flying wing, than you know exactly how it feels to fly without rudder, you may actually like flying with ailerons better than rudder.

You basically have 2 options that you can go with, and that's using 1 servo for both ailerons or 2 servos (1 servo per aileron). It sounds like you have standard radio equipment instead of RTF crap, so that is very good and will make your wallet happy (I had to buy standard equipment and a Tx before I could go 4ch). Depending on your Rx, you may need a Y harness if you use 2 ailerons. If you aren't flying 3D, one servo will do just fine. All you have to do is: 1, cut out the ailerons in the wing and make sure both wing sides are identical. 2, hinge the ailerons (hinge tape or CA hinges work fine). 3, install 2 control horns, one per aileron and install them on the side closest to the Fuse. 4, install the servo in the center of the wing, where the servo arm is an equal distance from each control horn. 5, plug the servo wire/wires into your Rx and test to make sure you are on the right channel. 6, use pushrods to connect the control horn to the servo arm.

Now you can test the movement of the ailerons. When viewed from the back, when you enter right stick the right aileron should move up and the left down. When you enter left stick the left should move up and right go down. This is a fairly straight forward mod and if you do it, it will give you a chunk of experience right off of the bat.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here too, but if you have more questions ask away.