RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to build a balsa sheeted foam core wing.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Rate1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to build a balsa sheeted foam core wing.

Ok, quick update.

My kit is finaly here and so is the contest balsa I ordered to replace the stock sheeting in order to save weight.

Needless to say I was very curious to see if this stunt would save around 10 oz as expected or not, so I found my sweet little digital scale (acurate to +/- 1 gram=0,035oz) and went to action...

The weight of all stock balsa sheets: 598gram=21,09oz
Weight of the contest balsa to replace the stock: 311gram=10,97oz
------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight reduced by replacing the stock sheeting for contest grade is 10,12oz or 0,63 lbs if you like. Same as slashing the weight of the sheeting by 50%.
Now some scrap and cutting some of the material off is expected while building the kit, so a total of approx 0,5 lbs will be saved on this model by this stunt alone.

I have hooked myself up with one of the Skydivers at my Skydiving club to help me out vaccum sheet the wings. This guy is a aeroplane technician instructor with the keys to the school where he works at (access 24/7). He said they have a 2000 liter airtank at the school used for the students laminating classes. We are planing to laminate my wings on a weekend. Hopefully this will work out without any snags and hopefully I will get myself a set of super lite wings with a minimum amount of resin used. *fingers crossed*

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90609.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	522589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16027.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	522590