RCU Forums - View Single Post - A123Racing Hypersonic Turbo Questions
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM
A123 Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123Racing Hypersonic Turbo Questions

Hello People,

To answer some questions about the Turbo Module.

GNiessesn, How is the Cutoff Handled?

When are batteries are used without a Turbo module the end of discharge occurs very rapidly around 93-95% discharge. When the turbo module is used this steep shoulder is enhanced. Allowing you to run longer at a high voltage. When the pack voltage reaches 2V/cell the turbo module will stop boosting the voltage. I would urge first time uses to bench test or Carefully test their vehicles before regular use, Especially in electric flight applications. In regards to the cut off voltage of the battery packs, we recommend a cutoff voltage of 2V/cell but the cells will tolerate under voltage (1V/cell) and over voltage (4.2V/Cell) due to the durability of the battery chemistry. (Please note that the over/under voltage numbers are applied at a cell level and can not be translated to a packs voltage unless it is properly balanced).

U-dud, if 12V were supplied would the output be 14.4V?

Hello U-dud, the turbo module will not function if 12V was supplied. It is to be used with A123Racing Hypersonic Batteries only 2S (6.6V) and 3S (9.9V). If used with other batteries you run the risk of damaging the Turbo module and/or the battery you are using.

Clive, How do you get 10.8V from a 2S (7.2) battery?

Hey Clive, Actually our 2S battery is only 6.6V. We are able to bring the voltage up to 10.8 with our turbo module because our batteries are capable of delivering very high current. We draw the extra current needed from the battery to boost the output voltage to the desired level. U-dud had it figured out. The loss in the module is about 5% no matter what setting you are on. You will see shorter run times when using the Turbo module because you have to draw more amperage to maintain the increased performance level.

newflyermx, What should I use for the Easystar plane.

Hello New Flyer, We have had people flying the Easystar with great success with our Hypersonic 9.9V 2300 pack. They have not been using the turbo in their applications. I will be getting one shortly if you are planning to make the purchase in a couple weeks I urge you to pop back in and ask. From what I have heard the battery drops right in and works flawlessly with the default settings.
We currently recommend that our batteries be charged on our Sonic Charge system for a few reasons. 1) Because it charges the batteries to the proper 3.6V/cell endpoint. 2) Because it has built in balancing capabilities. 3) Because it is a 10amp charge and will charge you battery very fast. If you use our charger you will not need a separate balancer.

Shelldude, What is the voltage and amperage tolerance of the Turbo module.

Please see above for voltage input usage. Batfish had good input though I will need to research series wiring capabilities tomorrow with our electrical engineers. In regards to the amperage that the turbo module can handle, a 3S pack at it's first voltage setting (10.8V) can handle about 20amps continuous. We are doing a variety of test to increase the amount of amperage that it can handle, I will keep the forum updated as the performance numbers are changed. Also, if your application falls within the specification of the turbo module I urge you to try it, however let me be the third person to suggest trying to increase the pinion size you are currently using if allowable by your other electronics.

Batfish

Thanks for your continued support in the forums, it can sometimes be hard to monitor them. We appreciate the backup.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will keep the forum update with any news on products.

Brian

[link=http://www.a123racing][/link]