RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 01:49 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?

I went to the Sig website to get an approximation of how much the wood for my Extra is going to cost. I think, even using contest balsa for the ribs and sheeting, that I'll be well under $150. That, versus $285 to have Laser Cut Kits do it, is inspiring me to go ahead and cut this one myself so long as I can get a hold of the tools I need rather inexpensively.

What's the best method for cutting? I can only do two ribs at once, since the wings taper, so I was going to copy the plans (still haven't found anywhere local to do that accurately), cut the parts from the plans, tack it to the wood, rough cut it with a very fine tooth scroll saw and use 400+ grit sandpaper on a disc sander to get final shape. Should I shape to the inside of the template lines or the outside? Does this seem like the best way to do it?

I need to cut some plywood strips to double some balsa parts. What is the best way to cut these long and rather thin strips?

I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting the parts. I've done some cutting by hand before but never a full kit. I am just not sure if I can cut every single part perfectly (or as perfect as is possible hehe).

Also, I like the selection of wood Sig offers. They also carry some contest, which I plan on using for parts that don't bear much of a load. Any good/bad thoughts on Sig balsa stock? Is there a better supplier?

Thanks!