RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?

ORIGINAL: RVM

I went to the Sig website to get an approximation of how much the wood for my Extra is going to cost. I think, even using contest balsa for the ribs and sheeting, that I'll be well under $150. That, versus $285 to have Laser Cut Kits do it, is inspiring me to go ahead and cut this one myself so long as I can get a hold of the tools I need rather inexpensively.
Buying the wood isn't that expensive at all, usually. I priced out wood for a 2M pattern plane and it is only about $120-$130 for top quality contest balsa.

What's the best method for cutting? I can only do two ribs at once, since the wings taper, so I was going to copy the plans (still haven't found anywhere local to do that accurately), cut the parts from the plans, tack it to the wood, rough cut it with a very fine tooth scroll saw and use 400+ grit sandpaper on a disc sander to get final shape. Should I shape to the inside of the template lines or the outside? Does this seem like the best way to do it?
I copy the templates, glue them to the balsa, cut them out with a scroll saw or knife (depending on the wood thickness), then use a disc sander to true the edges to the templates. I usually do each one separately if the wing is tapered, since I find it's more trouble to stack the balsa and keep it tightly together than to simply do 2 of each.

I need to cut some plywood strips to double some balsa parts. What is the best way to cut these long and rather thin strips?
What thickness of ply? Aircraft ply or lite ply? If it is 1/32" or 1/64" aircraft ply scissors work pretty well. For 1/16" and up I would use a table saw. For lite ply, table saw as well.

I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting the parts. I've done some cutting by hand before but never a full kit. I am just not sure if I can cut every single part perfectly (or as perfect as is possible hehe).
It is not nearly as hard as it seems. Once you get going you will see it is pretty easy to exactly match the templates with a bit of care. The disc sander makes it simple to get true square edges and if you really muck one up, just toss it and do another. Mostly, you need to be patient, take a bit of care and just be willing to keep going until they are all done. Do not hurry, just enjoy the experience of crafting everything with your own hands.

Also, I like the selection of wood Sig offers. They also carry some contest, which I plan on using for parts that don't bear much of a load. Any good/bad thoughts on Sig balsa stock? Is there a better supplier?
Can't comment on SIG, but I have heard nothing but superlatives about Dynamic Balsa

http://www.dbalsa.com/

Mark