RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 03:51 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cutting kits and balsa suppliers?

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Buying the wood isn't that expensive at all, usually. I priced out wood for a 2M pattern plane and it is only about $120-$130 for top quality contest balsa.
Do you think using contest for the whole plane would be a problem? Would it significantly reduce strength as well as weight?

I copy the templates, glue them to the balsa, cut them out with a scroll saw or knife (depending on the wood thickness), then use a disc sander to true the edges to the templates. I usually do each one separately if the wing is tapered, since I find it's more trouble to stack the balsa and keep it tightly together than to simply do 2 of each.
Hmm, yeah I guess I can see how stack just two sheets of 1/8" balsa would be kind of a pain. Still, I think I will try, just so I can make sure each part is identical to its counterpart.

What thickness of ply? Aircraft ply or lite ply? If it is 1/32" or 1/64" aircraft ply scissors work pretty well. For 1/16" and up I would use a table saw. For lite ply, table saw as well.
Various thicknesses, from I think 1/32" to 1/4". The 1/32" is used to double balsa, and the 1/4" is for the firewall. I won't be able to get a tablesaw. Mostly this is because I simply have nowhere to put it.

It is not nearly as hard as it seems. Once you get going you will see it is pretty easy to exactly match the templates with a bit of care. The disc sander makes it simple to get true square edges and if you really muck one up, just toss it and do another. Mostly, you need to be patient, take a bit of care and just be willing to keep going until they are all done. Do not hurry, just enjoy the experience of crafting everything with your own hands.
I'm in no hurry. I had intended to cut/fabricate all the parts for the plane before I started construction. That's not really a lot, since most of the building consists of cutting 1/4" sticks to various lengths and angles. A good protractor and miter saw/sander (my Fourmost products are great) will work great.

Can't comment on SIG, but I have heard nothing but superlatives about Dynamic Balsa

http://www.dbalsa.com/
Great selection. They have 5-ply, 1/32" plywood, which is better than the 3-ply 1/32" available at Sig. I suppose I would simply specify that I want contest grade when I ask them for a quote, yes?

ORIGINAL: mmattockx
Mark

Thank you for your advice!