RCU Forums - View Single Post - Advice for an oldie newbie
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Advice for an oldie newbie

A word on printing. Tiling isn't the cleanest option but financially it's the ONLY option for us. Plotters are just too crazy expensive to own or come with driver and supply issues if you can find older used ones at a decent price. Fortunelty there's varioius companies out there like Kinkos and others that provide plotter printing.

However I've had great luck with smaller projects in doing my CAD work and then copying parts out and making secondary printing "stripe" plans that can be either tile printed or banner printed in strips. So far it's worked out well for smaller to medium sized models.

Here's an example of a strip that printed as a banner. It's also got the page outlines for 3 sheets of paper. In use I then "cut" (split) the lines and curves where they cross the pagelines (use the SEKE I for intersection when splitting the lines) and I can then split the file into three other files that all print out on standard or legal size paper that is easily handled. A few bits of tape and I'm ready to rock&roll.

But by far the best HOME option is the banner printing on old style sprocket feed paper or roll paper on an inkjet. Just pre-tear off the sprocket edges to feed the paper into the new inkjets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28362.gif
Views:	8
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	524477