RCU Forums - View Single Post - DA-50 Ignition Module problems
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
bluemagic98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-50 Ignition Module problems

I was refering to average wear as in any secure point they obviously see the need for the addition of a plastic wrap some manufacturers include the wrap some dont when was the last time you saw your plug wire on your lawn mower fail? or your motor boat or your weed wacker? install a rc ign on one of these type engines and let us know how long it will last. I guess i just see the ign wire as weak point in the system Im not an electronics expert but ive installed electronic ignitions an a large # of fork lifts that had points type ignitions in them and to this day I have never seen one fail and i personaly expect the same service life from my aircraft ignition. even the plastic wrap wont hold up to the vibrations for more than a year or 2 im on my 4th gal with the latest ignition and motor and i can see that the plastic wrap is showing signs of wear my last ignition i wrapped the wire in tape and foam then tied it down to the fire wall and any place it touched anything i wrapped and tied it in place. i did not see any place on the wire where the shielding failed but flipping it over in the dark i could see the spark jump within the shielding. Its my feeling that if this wire was fully incased in rubber or some other composit the vibration would not have deteriated the shielding and or the internal insulation to the point of failure for the life of the motor. Dont take this as a complaint but as a wish to improve the future of the hobby I knew when i purchased my motors that if i settled for the oldest designed motor in the pile I would most likly have a motor that would out last me. Being on the cutting edge of things is in my nature and I accept the losses i will most likly have along the way. As a self proclamed Beta tester I submit this as a bug report and hope it is taken as such. And in a show of my support i will happly donate my $100+ dollars for a new ignition Next month.