RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

11x6 APC prop seems to be the ticket with this plane, Also try using a heat gun to get the wrinkles out instead of an iron. With the heat gun you can actually watch the wrinkles disappear and you just follow the wrinkles as they do so. Just hold it about 3 inches away from the covering at an angel in the direction you are going. Always work from left to right or top to bottom, don't start in the middle as you will just chase the wtinkles around. When you start the covering will look as if it is going to blister and come off so don't be alarmed this is normal, it will immediately lay flat after this and when it does is when you want to start going across the surface. You will see how fast the wrinkles will start to smooth out and you just follow right behind it and WALLA, no more wrinkles. Try to avoid the edges and use the iron on them instead as they will lift and curl if you're not careful.
I always start with the gun then finish with the iron if needed to lay down corners and edges, besides if you aren't careful with the iron you will put permenant wrinkles that you can't get out unless you recover. I learned all this by trial and error. oh yeah, if you don't already you should put a small roll of scotch tape in your box just in case you get a hole in the covering.

Shane