RCU Forums - View Single Post - cheap 4 channel pitts
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 07:06 PM
joebugs1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cheap 4 channel pitts

I've got one of these, think I got it off one of the eBay sites, or maybe from raidentech. It DOES have ailerons on top & bottom, just like the pictures. I know lots of folks didn't have that, but I think maybe they got stuck with older models or something. No excuses for those who are selling them as 4 aileron planes though.
This was my first "larger" plane, but I've got tons of simulator time, and stick time on the AeroAces. Very different, by the way, but it can be a first plane if you have a good idea of what you're doing already.
As for the plane itself:
It will fly, barely, with the stock setup. Not much power to keep it aloft.
Replaced the motor with a 380 or something and a slightly larger 2 blade prop. It flies a lot better.
I've seen the video with it pulling loops and such. I doubt that was a stock setup.
Next replaced the brushed motor with a brushless setup and Lipo batteries (don't recall exactly what)
promptly dove it full power straight into the ground, it's currently awaiting some major repairs to the engine mount.
Should have check the CG, it was waaay forward. I learn so much more when I'm being stupid.
Clear packing tape will be your friend. The leading wing edges can use some, the cowl should be taped on, the wing struts
should be reinforced where they connect to the wing (otherwise they pull out in a light crash)
I cracked the fuse just in front of the wings, taped it back together, good as new. Overall, it's got several grams of tape.
I think my flying weight is right around 600 grams. Seems pretty heavy.
I'm sure the landing gear won't take much abuse, my pulled out in a not too hard landing. Maybe on a nice smooth surface,
if you're good on landings. I just fly without gear and belly down in the grass.
Overall, it wasn't a bad $100
If I were to do it all over though, I'd think about a ToyTronix T-Hawk, 3 channel ugly pod & boom that it is.
The Pitts is a pretty plane though, and once you can keep it in the air, it looks great and flies very nicely.