RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: Jon72286

One more question guys. Whats wrong with the US engine that the Manual suggest? I noticed that almost nobody uses that engine. IS it too weak? I just want something that will give me plenty of power on tap if I need it but still fly the plane at a scale speed and do those awsome powerfull verticals. Let me know whats up. Thanks, Jon
Jon,

If you are really interested in why there are not many who use the US engine, spend a bit of time on the gas engines forum to see what's said about them. I'm not even sure they are available anymore and while they may fly the model at Sea Level okay, they are barely adequate here at 4500 ASL. There's a guy in our club who has that engine on the TopFlight P-51 which is similar in size to the Corsair, but I think lighter. I'm not sure of how long our paved runway is here, but would estimate it to be in the 350 to 400 ft. range, and it's all this Mustang can do to get into the air during the summer months.

The gas engine forum will also allow you to gather a lot of information on the G-62 and why people like them. That and the extra weight of the Zenoah should be a plus for this particular model. I'll probably wind up having to add some nose weight to mine even with lightening the tail during the build but I got the engine before I even knew anything about the model or it's tendency to being tail heavy. The only one of these I've seen fly had the G-62 in it with no regard to trying to lighten the tail during it's build and he had to add a chunk of weight in the nose even with the Zenoah in it. IIRC, he told me the all up weight on the thing was close to 30lbs...[X(]