RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nexstar vs Avistar vs Magister
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nexstar vs Avistar vs Magister

If I may add my .02 cents here.

You'll have lots of fun on the Avistar, and as was said before the .46 is a great choice for the power plant (I've got a .46 FX in mine) You'll learn that this plane does everything a little faster and crisper with the 46 and the semi-semetrical (sp?) wings, so mind your Instructor as he talks you through your first few flights. Once you get used to it, you'll be grinning from ear to ear every time you get up.

For break in, I didn't use the 10X6 on my 46, but went right to the 11X6 and have been there since. I was running Cool Power (15%) fuel, but switched to Omega (15%) and the engine seemes to run much better. I think this is because of the extra castor oil. I asked my Instructor about using the break in prop, but his opinion was that an OS engine is so good, that it shouldn't need a break in prop. I started off with wood props though, since my Instructor thought it was a good idea that WHEN I crashed, I wouldn't damage the crankshaft on the engine if it hit first. I've gone through at least 15 props in the last three seasons and have now switched to the APC which hasn't touched the ground yet.

When you get hooked up with a Club, ask the guys what they think. And get ready to soak up knowledge like a sponge. I'm one of the youngest guys in my Club and every time we have a meeting, I learn something else, and you can't beat the company!

And also, look up other threads here on RCU about the Avistar. You'll learn how to do modifications and other things to make this one of the best planes in your hanger. Have a great time learning and welcome to the obsession......errr.....hobby!

Don