RCU Forums - View Single Post - SEMPRA Members
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Sandbag Special
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEMPRA Members

This is a document composed by my father specifically addressing SEMPRA Members.

Matt

FELLOW RACERS:

I am talking to SEMPRA members only!

In the late 60's I was one of the pylon racers that started FMPRA which was later changed to SEMPRA. I raced until 1980. I served 3 years as FMPRA sec/treas. In 2004 I rejoined SEMPRA along with my son Matthew. We have been racing SEMPRA ever since.
I hate politics, and standing on a soap box is the last thing I want to do. I want to make sure each of you knows about what I feel could be the end of SEMPRA as we know it.
Several years ago, SEMPRA started racing the 424 class with a good set of easy to enforce rules. The 424 racing has done for SEMPRA exactly what it was designed to do. It provides SEMPRA with a class of racing for the sport pilot who wants a cheap, no hassle event. For less than $200, you can buy an ARF and a Thunder Tiger 40, put your sport radio in it and be competitive. The SEMPRA rules have kept 424 race winning times in the low 1:50's to the high 1:40's with fast time usually in the low 1:40's. This is 30 seconds slower than the average 428 race winning time. Perfect for a sport class. 424 as it was designed to, also provides an event where a serious racer can gain the right kind of experience necessary to compete in 428 class. Today, more than half of SEMPRA 428 pilots started as 424 pilots!
Now let me tell you what I am upset about!
Both AMA and NMPRA have made changes to their 424 rules. Lets start with AMA. AMA has done away with the 16,500 RPM max we use. This will now open the door for the after market piston and sleeve, the new ceramic bearings and the reworked cylinder head which will use the stock Thunder Tiger head shim. Using these parts in the Pro 40 will turn the 9/6 APC close to 19000 RPM. The piston and sleeve is guaranteed 800 to 1000 RPM increase, alone. Plan on the total cost of these parts, adding $200 plus, to the cost of each engine, if you install them yourself! Yes, these parts are illegal! The only way to police the use of these parts will be an engine teardown. They will not be painted orange. What contest director needs the added responsibility of tearing down all the 424 engines after or before a race? AMA also changed the minimum Q-500 weight to 3 3/4 lbs. Who knows why?
Now on to NMPRA. They are now allowing 428 pilots to enter any 424 event. As you know, SEMPRA rules do not allow this! What possible good would a 424 regulars ego receive by being lapped 2 or more times by a 428 racer? Someone with the talent of say...Randy Bridge, could easily do this. (Randy, I only used your name because you are the best.)
Winning a 424 race will become impossible for any regulars. NMPRA will also allow a 424 racer to compete in three 428 races per season, to see if he likes it. How many 424 racers have an extra $2000 to put together a couple 428 Q-500's, that he plans to race in a maximum of 3 events? Our SEMPRA rules are simple, enforceable, well thought out and proven successful.
The Mulberry race is the start of our 2007 season. I urge you to direct Tom and Vern to leave SEMPRA rules unchanged for the 2007 season. If a group wants to put on a SEMPRA race and give SEMPRA points, they need to use and enforce SEMPRA rules. I support new rules that promote and make racing better. AMA and NMPRA 2007 changes certainly are not good for SEMPRA! We could easily wind up killing 428 racing as they did several years ago in New England, when they screwed around with their 424 racing rules. Today, 2 classes of 424 is all they race.

Let's Race!

Jack Fehling