RCU Forums - View Single Post - LiPo help: same voltage..but 1/4 the amps
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 PM
[ShAdOw]-[HeLiX]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LiPo help: same voltage..but 1/4 the amps

Yes the pack worked properly when I first got it, then I didn't use it for about a week and now when I try to charge it it doesn't work properly. I've got a computerized charger/discharger, so I can't select the specific voltage I want to charge it at - it brings the pack up to 12.6V using constant current, and then finishes the rest of the charge off using constant voltage and a changing current until it is 'full'.
The other battery I have is still working fine, so it's not the charger.
So as far as I can tell, one of my cells has gone bad spontaneously during a week where it wasn't in use.

I was wondering why it went bad? (do they sometimes just die for no apparent reason?), and can I do anything to fix it? - like a cell balancer or something of the sort.

Does a bad cell affect the voltage of the cell, or its current capacity, or both? My pack is still reading at a good 12.6V, it just can't hold enough current and I have no idea why (my charger tells me that it can put about 500mA into the pack before it won't accept any more, and it should be accepting around 2200mA). Also, if one of my cells has gone bad, does that mean that in a 2200mAh pack I should still be able to get around 1500mA into it (since 2 of the cells are still working)?