RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Yak 55
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Yak 55

Here are some major upgrades that I made to make this plane really perform. (after 2 years of flying)

First, I went through 2 stock 280 motors with 5.5:1 gear drive. Both times the motor suddenly quit working. The brushes were worn completely down. Then, I moved on to GWS 350's with 370 motors and 6.6:1 gear boxes, and Thunderpower 1320 batteries. The increased motor performance, and lighter battery were a huge gain in performance, but the motors wouldn't last.

Finally, after 2 more GWS motors (they were free), I've finally purchased a Brushless. The motor of choice was a Welgard brushless from BPhobbies and a Thunderbird 18 ESC. Only $21.95 for the motor. I've gone with a 9x4.7 GWS prop for plenty of power. I can hover, knife edge left to right and right to left, torque roll, Blender and Waterfall without fear or lack of power to get out of sticky situations.

I've bent the shaft on the gear boxes from mistakes twice, and popped the rudder off once, and the plane keeps coming back for more.

If you have any upgrades you would like to mention, please post them for us.

Thanks

With reguard to the above post, keep the speed down. The full flying stab isn't made for highspeed flight. It likes slow 3D.