RCU Forums - View Single Post - Do you remember when....
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you remember when....

I remember everythiing that Stickbuilder mentioned, plus a few others. I started building models in 1937, and have never stopped. I have been a member of the Olean Model Airplane Club, now known as STARS, for 65 consecutive years. My bother Bill is right behind me with 64 consecutive years. Same goes for membership in the AMA - 65 and 64 consecutive years respectively.

In that time period, I have built hundreds of models, all different sizes and descriptions. I put the first giant scale gas engine on the market in 1976 (Quadra 35), and enjoyed a lucrative world-wide model business for several years before selling it to retire to Florida. Last year the AMA granted our club the pretiguous AMA Heritage Landmark Award for our pioneering efforts in the evolution of "Giant Scale" models. It is their highest award, and only the second one given out in by AMA since 1936.

I have participated in many Nats, flying free flight models. I got into R/C in the early fifties, having purchased my first radio from Germany, as there were none in the states at the time. I saw my first R/C model fly in 1948, with the Good brothers at the 2nd. Internatiional Model Plane Championships held in Detroit Michigan, sponsored by the Plymouth Motor Corporatiion, where only the top 500 modelers world-wide were invited.

I have written a book (not published), but for my kids entitled "A Lifetime in Model Aviation". It is 88 pages long and contains my life history as related to models. I have also produced a condensed version of this book on DVD (45 minutes) also for my kids.

I hope that everyone that reads this gets the chance to enjoy the hobby as much as I have. But - it's different now. Back when I was a kid, most model clubs were sponsored by other organizations - like we were sponsored by the Olean Exchange Club. It was all free flight and U-control, and there were lots of contests sponsored by those organizations every week-end within a hundred mile radius. Lots of good prizes were handed out, like kits and engines, so there was always the desire to build a better model and learn to trim it for maximum flight times, to win those excellent prizes. Above all, it was FUN!

I still have my first 1941 AMA NATS contestant felt patch. I wonder who else of you out there has one.

My current project is building a 40% Vans RV-6A to duplicate my sons real airplane. Also have a new 40% J-3 Cub to test fly when I can get the opportunity. Most of my time these days is devoted to taking care of my wife who has enjoyed this hobby with me, but presently in poor health. That really cuts into the available flying time, but she goes with me to the field when she can, and we do manage to get a few flights in now and then.

It's been a great ride for me.

Cheers,