RCU Forums - View Single Post - brand new 3.3 problems
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brand new 3.3 problems

ORIGINAL: blackdogafd

hey guys i though i would just give ya'll an update on this engine...

what happened was the top of the sleeve like all new 3.3's are. is tapered at the top of it and thats what cause it to get stuck, plus it didnt help that my buddy had a pull start on it so that didnt help either. i took that pull start of it and put the ez-start back on and made sure the piston was at bottom and put some ARO in it and we got the 3.3 fired up and running so we are all set to go now.... Thanks for all of your help on this guys!!! hope i can return the favor if you all need advice next

andy
Andy,
It's not just the TRX engines, it's all ringless nitro engines. That's the "pinch" that lets these engines build compression. That's also why breakin is so important with these engines. Break in is really nothing more than a controled wearing of the pston and sleeve so that they fit togeather exactly right.
Also, there's nothing wrong with breaking in an engine with a pullstart. Some people actually prefer it over the powered starts. The real trick, as you discovered, is the ARO and preheating the engine.
If you think that 3.3 was tight wait till you break in your first big block engine!! You WILL want a heat gun for that - no matter what starting system you use.