RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Contender!! :)
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Contender!! :)

N46203: I have attached some pics of my "Contender" build. I completed in late Sept.

The modifications that I made are:

1. added 1/2" width to the outbooard end of each aileron. (Required that I add 1/2" to the length of option upswept wing
tips, also.)
2. As you can see in picture I straightened the rudder trailing edge out.
3. I choose to use the upswept wing tip option
4. I built the wing tips to screw onto the end of the wing in case of damage, I could remove and repair.
In order to make this easy when recovering, if necessary, I added a 1/2" stip of balsa from leading edge of
wing to the trailing edge of wing so that I could end wing covering and begin tip covering. On both the
top and bottom of wing. I will see if I have picture that shows this strip.
5. Installed a OS .61 FX. Engineered cowling so that I could drop scoop and remove front braces to get
Engine out in case of needed repairs.

I have flown the plane twice on a "buddy box" with my instructor. I am still learning to fly. I have been
flying my Hangar 9 Alpha 60, but my instructor thought I was far enough along to fly the Contender on
the buddy box.

The plane is actually easier to fly than my trainer because it goes exactly where you point it, and it requires
very small inputs. But, I can tell that you could get into trouble real quick because it is so quick and sensitive
even on low rates.

I have the flaps set up on my JR 8103 at approximately 30 degrees with 3 degress down elevator programmed
in. It lands beautifully. I have that set on the flap switch. I have another switch set up for takeoff flaps at
10%. However, have never used them because with the .61 it gets off with a very short roll.

Plan on adding about to 3/4 to 1 oz. of weight to the right wing tip to offset muffler. Laterally balance the
plane with all equipment installed, but before you cover. I did and this plane flies beautifully thru
all pattern sequences. Knife edge has no coupling tendencies, snap rolls are same both right and left.

I added 1 oz and I am going to have to glue 2 pennies to left wing. I put in 1 oz as described above and at the time it was
perfect, but something changed slightly and now when doing loops it has a slight tendency to roll out slightly
(drop wing ever so slightly) to the right.

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. This was my first build and covering job. I enjoyed it
very much. I am currently building rebuilding a Great Planes AT-6. At one time was a ARF, but was damaged and
so have all the coverings off, rebuilding fsue and portions of wing. My next full build will be a GP Super
Decathalon.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43286.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	543849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90248.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	543850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52958.jpg