RCU Forums - View Single Post - Purple Brushless Electric Ultimate BiPe
Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Purple Brushless Electric Ultimate BiPe

Pictures of my blue Ultimate before removing the wheel pants are here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4895258/tm.htm

As for the wheels I'm using now, they are the Dubro "ultra light weight" or the sorts in a 2" wheel. They look just like the old Dubro low bounce wheels but have a tread, they are made of foam on a plastic/nylon hub and weigh virtually nothing.

Props: I started out with the APC 9X6E that I had on the Park 450 powering my little electric Long EZ that was turning in reverse rotation on that plane. That one worked well and with the 2100 lipo the flight time was better than 20 minutes.

Next prop was a APC 9X6 slow flyer. Good power, but the speed control seemed to intermittently cut out....we were thinking maybe it was over-revving that prop.

Next was an E-Flite 10X8, the black plastic one that E-Flite suggests to use with the Mini Ultra Stick. Probably pulled the best of the 3, not quite enough to do 3D and the speed control told the battery to give it up after about 13 minutes.

Static testing shows that an APC 10X7E should be marginally 3D'able, the best power/flight time prop I'm thinking may be the APC 10X5E, but have yet to actually fly the plane with either of those to date.

Oh, BTW----if I were you and haven't yet assembled the tail, you might want to fabricate a piece of stiff wire to join the elevator halves before you hinge it to the stabilizer. Otherwise the side that has the horn is going to deflect further than the side that doesn't due to the torsional twist in the wood joiner. I poked a couple holes with a T pin where the wood joiner is and soaked it with thin CA in an attempt to stiffen the joiner as it is, don't think I gained much by doing that.