Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi again Stickbuilder,

I wonder "what" you are buffing after using 2000 grit. Painting vehicles, the only time I used 800+ was to remove the edges of stripes that had been produced by masking. The rest of the work was done with rubbing compound on a sponge using a dual action (DA) air sander. I am only asking for clarification, I am not and never was very good at producing a good finish (great at watching and making suggestions) I have used a hard masked edge and a rolled edge on the top (for stripeing) so the finish had finer "edge-less" paint at the masked edge.

It's about fifteen years since I did any painting (I've been retired over 8yrs) but I have just replaced the compressor I built over 40yrs ago, I didn't trust the receiver any more. I bought a 14cu ft FAD and a couple of proper guns to replace my old constant bleed gun and the one I LOANED to a friend.

The purpose of my questions is to see how relevant my experience of spraying will be on model aircraft. For models, I previously used shrinking dope, silver cellulose (for lightness) and covered it with a coat of automobile colour followed by single pack (furniture) polyurethane for fuel resistance and got an amazing gloss despite the occasional ugly nibs showing.

The model I have in mind for painting is the Bud Nosen Mr Mulligan kit I purchased on eBay with the new Zenoah G-38 to power it. I rather foolishly paid full price for the motor from a hobby shop in the USA. It arrived with the full price declared and the revenuers took great pleasure in charging me a considerable sum in import duty.

By the way, much as I love the Golden Age aircraft, I still think you are hiding a Spitfire somewhere, LOL.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Hiding a Spitfire somewhere? ... Hmmmmm...[:-]

If you could talk me into building any Supermarine designed airplane, It would, in all probability, be a Spitfire. Perhaps a Reconnisance model, one of the light blue ones with the camera pod, perhaps a Mk IV with the Hood. It is a fairly obscure version, but I think that it would be well received within the scale world. What do you think? I'm not opposed to, just tired of seeing the same old P-51/P-47 non scale outline pieces of crap that crowd the flightlines. I'm so over the run of the mill planes that have been done to death. I've been thinking about one of the Biplane carrier fighters of the United Kingdom, but the R-variant of the Spit sounds pretty good. I have a Moki 3.6 inline twin that would make one of these really sing. A pair of tuned pipes ducted to scale outlets would sound pretty good. Will need a scale 3 or 4 blade prop for this to work well. It would need to be a fairly large model for the big Moki to work well with. This is a large engine. It's about 10" from the backplate to the prop washer and there is a C&H ignition package that has to be accounted for. With the shorter nose moment and longer tail moment, it sounds about right for the Spit/Hurricane. Keep digging at me... I might just roll over for this one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1