RCU Forums - View Single Post - 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:25 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

No, no exaggerating.

I clock a full 30 minutes before the low voltage safeguard kicks in, lowering the output to the motor and forcing me to land.

This is with loops, nose straight up accellerations/flight and no attempt to lengthen the flight time.

If I were to be a bit more judicious with throttle use, I probably could increase this greatly, but in turn I don't consider that to be real world performance.

I have my radio time indicator cutoff set to 28 minutes now so I have a couple of minutes to get the plane down under full power.

The change from 9x8 to 9x6E did the final trick.

In talking with someone more experienced than I about electrics, they mentioned that I propbably saw the large increase in time because I went from a standard 9x8 prop (included with the S-600GD kit) to a 9x6E prop, and in turn the "E" series props have a much thinner cross section.

He said that this puts less of a load on the motor as it does not have to fight prop rotation as much. Coupled with the more efficient "spoon" shape of the "E" props I get the flight time returned.

At the price of those packs, I ordered two more sets, and even with shipping they are fairly cheap.

The one caveat with all of this, is that the above motor DOES NOT include the X-Mount, which I purchased from BPHobbies.

If you are interested in replicating the above, you may want to go ahead and get the motor from BPHobbies instead.

The above is EXACTLY the same as the BP Hobbies 2915-5D down to the windings. BPhobbies includes the X-Mount in their price so they come out to be almost the same final price, but quicker delivery (2 weeks from Hong Kong for the above.)

I mounted the 60Amp ESC under the motor in the nose to give it more weight towards the front.

The batteries are mounted as per the picture to get the balance right. I charge them outside the plane with an ICE charger.

I used the prop adapter from my S-600GD instead of the one included with the motor. The former accepts standard props and can be purchased seperately. The adapter included with the motor has a slightly wider diameter which may require reaming the props out a bit.

I fly the plane with it's throws set to 140% and 30% expo on high rates. Low rates set to 60-80%, expo 15%.