RCU Forums - View Single Post - 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30 minutes flight time from my Super Sportster EP!

I suspect that what you left out is that with the change in prop there was a change in throttle management. Also, you never stated what the capacity of the battery was that you were running down in 6 minutes. It's the little things....
If you re-read the first post you'll see the original configuration. The ONLY change was the prop size and type.

I also posted that throttle management had NOTHING to do with it.

Quite the contrary, yesterday I got 32 minutes from it, letting a bunch of people try their hand with this setup.

Same motor, battery, etc.

They were all quite impressed with both the performance and the longevity as we kept it up in the air for over 30 minutes non stop, handing the controller around. We were even attempting to hover the plane various times.

I was showing off with stall "flips" at fairly low altitude since the plane has plenty of power to recover... Got quite a few oohs and ahhs. It's really a very nice flyer with the proper setup.

The low voltage cutoff did not kick in.

I bought the T-600 setup from Tower originally. It came with a Master Airscrew 10x8 E-prop. That setup wouldn't pull a sick cat out of the sandbox. I bought the S-600 motoer separately, later. It flew the model pretty well on 8 cells but the flight times were short. If you were watching the $$ you could have bought the S-600 pieces separately and saved, plus spec your prop. Funny that, at the time, the package cost more than the pieces. It's usually the other way 'round.
I purchased the S-600GD setup with the ESC. and two spare props.

I went right to the brushless setup after reading about the 300 watt version of the above motor here.

I originally used one of the provided standard APC 9x8 props on this combination and also employed the prop mount from it..

The plane hauled, and had unlimited vertical. It went straight up like an overpowered jet.

But only 6 minutes of flight time... The batterys got very warm almost boardering on hot after the flight.

Once I changed out the prop, the batteries stay cool throughout.

As I've reported elsewhere I'm using a Hyperion 3013-14 brushless, 45 amp ESC and 3150 or 3850 LiPo. I get about 20 minutes on this setup, depending on how I fly it. I spent quite a bit more $$ than you did ( that was last spring) but I bought the stuff at 3D Hobby Shop, about 30 minutes away fron the house. I saw the same setup fly in a friend's SS-EP, duplicated it and am happy with it.

Over time, I spent a bundle on motors, batteries and ESCs. But I was playing around and having fun.

Cheers,

CR
Thanks to the information on the other thread I found the above. I really should have not bothered with the S-600GD combo at all. As it is I don't know what to do with it now. I purchased it and the 3300mAh battery pack, but decided against using it when I saw how heavy this all was.

I'd like to at least use it in something else... but what would accept this and give good performance?