RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to start the RCV
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 12:44 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to start the RCV

Brian:

The engine runs very well. I have found that the more time you have on it the easier it is to start. I used a starter (up against the spinner) for the first five or six 15 minute runs. After about 1 1/2 half hours the engine started by hand very easily. I currently have three hours on the engine and if you choke it and get it really wet, like you would a larger OS, it starts on the first or second flip. I really like the engine and I will find an appropriate plane for the engine.

One thing yo really nedd to do is to ensure that yo have adequate cooling. I ran mine without the cowl for all of my test flights and it ran failry cool but it does seem to run a lillte hotter than my YS. Otto thinks I need to change my fuel and I might try a different combo of fuel/prop at a later date but I just got one of the new World Models P-51 into which I wil install a Quadra 42.

One other thing. After reading Nick Zirolis review of an RCV in the latest edition of Flying Models, he seems to like the combo in his 80" Skyraider using a two bladed prop. I will have to admit that the four blade prop on the P-51 was one of the neatest things around. All of the guys at the field really liked the way it looked. I don't know if it was just me getting more experience with the model or the prop but when I flew the plane with the four blade prop the landings were just great. About 3-4 seconds after I pulled the power off, the model really slowed down . As the model slowed down and bled off speed, I just pulled some up leavotor and it just settled in on three points very nicely. My best landings with the model were with the RCV and the four blade prop.

Hope you enjoy your combo and I would welcome your coments/observations on the TF P-51 and RCV. Good luck. I have some photos of the H9 P-51 and the RCV but I have been unable to get them resized to a small enough size to be able to post. If you like, I can send you the photos and you can post them if you want to. I think that there are some readers that would like to see the pictures but I can't figure out how to get them to an acceptable number of bytes for RCU to accept.

Later,
Ed