View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Build, Sig Somethin Extra

mikeyt1,
Heck, don't worry about it all. I've been building for 9 years or so and there are still TONS that I don't know!!!

As to your question, Titebond II is an excellent glue to use when building. Any statements like this are going to kick off the flood of CA vs. Wood Glue posts, but in the long run you will need to use what you are comfortable with. When I started building I was using CA to build with, and about 4 years ago I switched to using Elmer's Carpenter's Glue. I feel that my building quality has improved after I switched to using CA. The biggest reasons for that are that I have longer to get the parts properly set before the glue dries, CA in wood makes a hard knot that's not sandable, I don't have to deal with the CA fumes, and CA is a lot more expensive. I do keep a small bottle of CA around to harden threads cut in wood, attach CA hinges, or a couple other misc. tasks.

The fumes that come from CA are big issue in my opinion. I've talked to several doctors and chemists and they all tell me that it really isn't an "allergy" to CA fumes that people have, but rather it's a reaction to it. CA fumes react with moisture so everybody has a reaction of some sort when they get the fumes inside their body. Some have reactions that are worse than others, but almost everybody's reactions will become worse over repeated exposure. This is one huge reason why I switched to using wood glue instead of CA.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. I've built 3 of the Something Extras and they are a great building kit.

Hope this helps

Ken