RCU Forums - View Single Post - Epoxy mixture?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Epoxy mixture?

My question is what to use to join the parts? I have all ways used MGS epoxy with cabosil. I'm told I should try 50/50 cabosil and micro balloons it would be lighter. Or should I mix in some milled glass for strength? - Randy
Some builders of comparable racing models are adding a bit of foaming agent in with the thickened resin mixture for this specific application. One I know for sure is an MGS product. Since you are already familiar with the resin you could probably source the agent. As I understand it, a few drops basically starts a mild micro bubbling action. You lay in a bead & it grows to some increased volume proportioante to teh amount of agent. Its not crazy liek expanding foam, Im guessing maybe less than 2x. I havent used it myself but have seen samples inside some flying surfaces, seem slike a good thing but only if you are seeking to pinch the last grams. Of course, where there is now bulk porosity there is now less stength. Ive also seen beads of macrobaloon (only) slurry & cant imaginge that would b etoo much heavier.

Nice molds BTW. Where did you get them milled if you dont mind my asking & what is the specific grade of tooling board?