RCU Forums - View Single Post - Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10
Old 11-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Misbehavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Review in Progress: Hot Bodies Lightning GT10

I have yet seen a negative review from any origination that sells advertisement so let me ask you how honest will the review be?
I do my best to tell what I experience, and what I think. Does that mean I'll come out and call a vehicle "utter crap". Not likely, as most vehicles out there still have their merits too. What makes a vehicle "crap"? Durability? That would be a closed minded stance, as many of your competitive racing platforms aren't the toughest vehicle available, as they sacrifice some durability for all-out performance.

So you have to point everything out as well as possible. In the overall scheme of things most vehicles are put together for their intended purpose very well overall. Especially considering what we expect out of these vehicles. However, remember that nothing is indestructible. I have yet to test a vehicle that would be given an "all negative review", but I have tested some that do need some improvement in certain areas. When I see that, it's mentioned. What's "crap", and what works well, is often different from person to person.

A good example of this would be the XTM X-Factor 2 I reviewed. It's not the toughest, or best, truck for jumping that you can find. However if you like the solid axle approach, and the clearance it offers, that might outweigh and disadvantages the truck has in other areas.

I do point out issues that I encounter, or areas that I don't care for. Read through some of my reviews, as you'll note that I discuss what I break, and whether or not I consider it a freak accident or an area that needs some improvement. A good example is the 20mm hex adapter used on the LST 2. I mentioned that I didn't see the point, as it severly hampered the wheel selection that was available because of the proprietary size that was used. I was offered many explanations as to why Losi felt their 20mm adapters were "better". However, I held my ground and you'll see I mentioned that in the article for it. IMO, the limited wheel selection you have just wasn't worth the route Losi took. Especially, when early on, their wheels were very hard to obtain.

Video too..
The article will have video, without a doubt!

What's the top-speed??
While the actual speed will vary, depending upon weather and tune, the claims are verfied. 45MPH is obtained, and I even had it trip the radar gun with a reading of 47-48 a few times.

Most Hot Bodies small block engines I have ever seen where not real powerful or fast. I only take to heart end user reviews from experienced RC people. For me to ever consider it they are going to have to come down on the price and make a kit. My MT 1 ¾ does me well and with the OS 18 TZ runs pretty good or should I say to good.
This motor is specifically an HPI motor, as most of the new HB stuff is. The .18 used in the MT2SS I reviewed was decent, but seemed to lack some low-end power in that application. This motor is much different, and runs like an entirely different powerplant. I'm surprised at how powerful it is, given the fact it's a side exhaust motor. Most factory side exhaust motors simply aren't this powerful.