RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I re-do my Avistar wing?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 05:30 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I re-do my Avistar wing?

OK I should know better by now, but here it goes anyway"

Some hobbico kits, same plane, different set up. The ARF the Select and some kits have changed the wing joiners from wood to steel and may in the future use C/F tubes.

A wing endures stress, and has to have some give in its construction. Beyond design limits are sometimes over looked by US pilots (not pointing fingers)

Take the 1/4" rod but the *same length* as the wing and it will bend in a very easy attempt. The wing absorbs and distributes the load over the entire area. the rod When installed becomes one with the wing as a end to end (wing tip to wing tip) structure.

The wood dowel suffers from grain failure after it is flexed so far it will snap, and that is an example of beyond design limits.

The wing on a trainer has lots of surface, and grabs lots of air in a Hi G maneuver. so it is more likely to pull more stress than a tapered or double tapered wing on a sport plane of same size and weight.

Many planes have wing tubes, and can be detached for transporting. And they use different methods to keep the wings in place. So the wing does not always have to be glued at the root,

This is just My 2" (but I have a new extinguisher)
Dan Z