RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I re-do my Avistar wing?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 05:13 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I re-do my Avistar wing?

Actually The Point I was trying to Make are as follows"

Stress over entire wing ( has to have flex )

the wood will bend AND RETURN TO ITS ORIGINAL SHAPE within designed limits(whatever You choose those to be)

A mild steel rod 13" or so long by 1/4" *ONCE BENT* WILL NOT RETURN TO ITS ORIGINAL SHAPE (not much flex but good strength)

The ARF and AWRF and SELECT series of the AVISTAR and SUPERSTAR were all modified, the 96 and 2000 tech notes and Wing kits show wing joiners for both the ARF & AWARF.
And STEEL rods for the SELECT version of each. After 2000?????????????? who know what they did.

(Go to Tower H. and look at Avistar or Superstar 40's the check tech notes, at bottom there are two other models offered, check each one and the wing kits for each and the date on the end of the page)

LXK965 Hobbico Sturdy Birdy II ARF w/Ailerons .20-.40,53"

LXK967** Hobbico SuperStar 40 Select RTF 60"

LXMU53** Hobbico Avistar 40 Select RTF 59"

LXK970 Hobbico Avistar AWARF 40 II .40,59.5"

LXPY56 Hobbico Avistar 40 II MonoKote ARF .40,59"

LXK971 Hobbico SuperStar 40 ARF MonoKote .35-.46,60"

LXK974 Hobbico SuperStar 40 AWARF.35-.40,60"

I have had only one Super star" I bought out a guy 2 years ago that had only taxied it, but ground looped it into a bush.

It has no detachable wing (no steel) and no bolt on tail (slot and glue) I gave it to Dago Red 2 weeks ago, but I'm sure he will tell anyone who asks, How it was assembled)I never flew it and only bought it for the radio and engine.

Anyway as "grippm" points out there is many oppinions, and it is Your own choice to make.

PS (why? They try to make arf's more versitile, being able to remove the wing for transport is a good selling point, but does not mean its a good setup.)

Happy Flyin
Dan Z