RCU Forums - View Single Post - XFoil and airfoil data
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 06:35 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lifting bodies

Yes, the airfoil I ran was a total cross section of the fuse at a point slightly more than half way from the center. The center is a little thicker. I've attached a CpX plot of a section slightly less than half way from the center of the fuselage. You need to keep in mind that the body is flat and wide. It has about a 1:2.3 aspect ratio i.e. span:cord. The wing span to body span ratio is 5.8:1. The aspect ratio of the wing is 6.1:1. The wing area to body area is 2:1. I'm sure these figures only serve to intrigue you more, but the point is that the body should play a sygnificant part in the lift of the plane since it's area is half that of the wing.

I'm currently cutting and gluing like crazy to get it finished for you to see. Hang in there. It woun't be long now.

-Q.

Originally posted by Daniel Nelson
Q- the airfoil that you ran through XFOIL, is that the cross section of your entire fuselage? Unfortunelty, since you've said this is not a conventional airplane, I can't really comment on what might happen if the lifting body stalls. Also, I'm not sure XFOIL's results will be accurate or even apply in this situation. Lifting bodies are very different from conventional airfoils; they're basically very very low aspect ratio wings, and practically all their lift and drag comes from 3-D effects. Guess you'll have to fly it and see.

heh heh, fortran. They don't even teach fortran programming anymore. I think I was in one of the last classes that was offered. Kind of a shame, actually, as they replaced it with a MATLAB class that barely goes into programming. Still, when those guys hit their first hard core programming class, it's good for a Damn-I'm-Glad-I'm-Not-You laugh.

Welcome to the wonderful world of X-FOIL, where the program convergence depends on the airfoil, the Reynolds number, AoA, time of day, phase of the moon, and sunspot activity.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52569_10389.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	30718