RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stunt Chimp
Thread: Stunt Chimp
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Stunt Chimp

ORIGINAL: AG Bill
I saw Spider Wire fishing line mentioned for use on control line planes. I know the .049 planes were commonly flown on dacron lines. Has anyone used Spider Wire for small models?
As far as I know, Spider Wire is used ONLY for small ~.049 models. When you get better at it you may want to switch to .008x35' steel wire. It is harder to handle but has less drag.

I'm still thinking about a finish. I know the planes are going to take a beating , but I want them to look attractive enough to interest the youngsters. Would Econocote be too heavy? I have some clear hot fuel proof dope and a small amount of colored fuel proof dope, but I'm afraid of warping the sheet balsa wings. I would like some recommendations.
Since you are going to bang them up a bit I would suggest all dope. Oil from fuel tends to creep under iron-on coverings. A decent basic finish: Sand the balsa well with fine sandpaper, brush on two coats of clear - sanding after each coat. One final coat of clear followed by two coars of color. Add trim (your Econocote might be good here). Keep it simple, the planes must be light and expendable, although sheet balsa planes can usually be easily repaired.

Before you start, look up the types of balsa grains (A, B, and C). The SIG site is a good place for that information. You should be using "C" grain for sheet balsa models.

George