RCU Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts on scale kits
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your thoughts on scale kits

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Why not bash them? That's what sets us apart from the herd. I still enjoy taking a Pica, or an Ikon kit, and using the kit as the starting point, finding a full scale example, or a good set of photo's to work from, and replicating the full scale in miniature. If it requires working 3 hours in the shop to make a miniature fitting that looks exactly like the real thing, then, to me , that's what this hobby is all about. I'm not a Pack Rat, but virtually anything I see, I can imagine a use for. Often it does not work out in practice, but when it does....It's magic, and I'd rather build a part than buy it. I know that it's original, and unique.

No, I can't leave one alone, but all my models are in a constant state of evolution. I have even been known to strip the covering off the wing, in order to make a better flap hinge, or to add that one little detail that must be under the covering material, or embedded in the finish.

Are we perfectionists, or are (to steal a phrase from Lexus) we in the relentless pursuit of perfection? I'd like to think that we are striving to find perfection, and always falling a little short. That's what provides the drive for us to spend the long lonely hours in the shop creating these wonderful models that others drool over, but will never attempt, because they fear failure. We succeed because we have failed, and not given up.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
What he said.