RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reaction 54 Jet Kit
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:46 AM
samo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

We flew our maiden today in 25 degree weather!
Had trouble with the kero start. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, whether it was weather related or battery. It takes a lot of JUICE to light up the kero plug and I don't think Nicad or NiMH have enough kick to do the job - especially in the 20's. We did manage to get one flight in and were able to trim it and get a feel for the R- 54 with a P-70. Take off was with ease. Flew at 1/2 throttle most of the time. With a 72oz tank, 4oz header and the P-70 which only burns 8oz. per minute, flight time is increased to 9-10min. The landing was easy and SLOW. Our previous Reaction with a P-60 seemed to be real "floaty". With the P-70 and the extra weight associated with it, it seemed to settle better and stick once it touched down. What a beautiful airplane. It's the best of all worlds: sport jet + trainer jet + steroids + excitement = REACTION 54/ P-70 COMBO.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. It has been very helpful in the build process.
Thanks Roy for your help and tutoring.
Thanks Bruce for creating an awesome jet that has fed my obsession with this sport!

Steve Morris