RCU Forums - View Single Post - LA Heli MaxiR Std. Full Build Thread...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Kdill2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LA Heli MaxiR Std. Full Build Thread...

Tail Part One...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a pic of the tail after installing the first bearing, use an arbor press or a small vise, be VERY careful. Here's how I did mine:

I started the bearing with finger/hand pressure making sure it was on the shaft straight. Next I put the shaft with the bearing pressed on one end between the smooth parts of my dremel vise jaws. Make sure the bearing is flat and flush against the vise jaws. ABSOLUTELY SQUARE! Slowly tighten the vise screw, VERY SLOWLY... The whole time you should be watching the bearing to make sure it's flat on the face of the vise jaw, you'll feel it "give" and press fit onto the shaft... As soon as you feel the shaft bottom against the opposit vise jaw stop. It's a good idea to stop a couple times during this task to see how far you need to go.... I have a large arbor press, but it's just too big, I think you can feel the bearing go on the shaft better with a small high quality vise than an arbor press. Take your time, it's not hard to do.

If you don't have a small vise, or arbor press I'm not sure what to tell you except at all cost avoid using a striking tool to do this. NO HAMMERS... you'll destroy the small bearing at the least and probably bend the tail shaft if you were to use a hammer. Maybe a "C" clamp would work too, maybe use a piece of flat metal on the "cup" side of the clamp. The small vise has always worked well for me, just go slowly. I've never bent a tail shaft.

Here's a pic...

Next thing to do is slide the Tail Distance Ring (small orange plastic spacer) onto the shaft...

Ken