RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lathe for conversions
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Mike@Accurate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lathe for conversions

Yes, good idea. Tightening the gibs may move the zero around a little. I would check it with the apron locked. I have only bored through stuff too long for the compound's travel. Usually I have it removed and a 4-bolt plate installed with my QCTP on it. Then I use the auto feed from there. I have been looking at power feeding the lead screw as well. The 9x20 has a neutral (shifter left down below the gear selector holes) so I won't have to fool with the gears. I am looking at putting the motor on the right end of the lead screw. I have already got two computers/CNC controllers, so I was going to use a stepper. With one on the lead screw and one on the cross slide I could do some tapers etc. It wouldn't be like a "real" cnc lathe, but it would open up some ability to do things. As long as the shape only required feeding in one direction each, backlash wouldn't be so much of an issue. You certainly could just use a variable speed reversable motor (drill?) to achive feed in both directions at any rate. Enjoy, MIKE