RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)

Well, did some more playing with the 5100M. First hitched the stock USB cable up to a computer to check the voltage output and it was the standard USB 5 volts to feed the camera. The -/+ pins are also in the standard spots on a USB plug. Now that I knew the Aiptek cable wasn't regulating the USB output to it down to 3V or something and that the power pins were where they should be, I figured I'd wire up a mini USB plug to my 3V regulator and try that. While the regulator works fine to power the camera via it's two AA battery comparment leads, it appears 3V isn't enough to fire the camera up via it's USB port. Guess it wants the standard 5V input.

So, question...The ESC I'm using has a 2 amp BEC and should provide roughly the 5V the camera USB port needs. Anybody know how many amps one HS55 and one HS81 servo are sucking from the BEC? I wonder if I can power the camera via the BEC and not have the BEC burn out. Also wonder if the 5V supply from the BEC might get too noisy for the camera? Starting to think I'd be better off just wiring up a mini DC jack to the camera and feeding it 3V near the battery leads but hate to take the thing apart.

Another option would be to pick up a 5V regulator. Anybody have a source?