RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lathe for conversions
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lathe for conversions

Capt,n you are not going to get any tool out of the box that will be the correct height. If you do, it is an accident. You need to make yourself a set of shims the aproxment size of the tool bit shank, in varying thickness. In your case, you need 0.80" under the tool to make it the right height. The quick change tool post tool holders all have an adjustment screw to make this adjustment. The lantern post with the rocker uses the rocker to get the height just right. For the 4 way post, you have to shim to get them up to speed.

I've found that the metal hangers of the green file cabnet folders is just a nice size for shims. It is about 15 to 20 thou thickness and is around 1/4 to 5/16 wide. Just right for most of the bits you will use on that lathe. Some strips of 10 thou, 5 thou and if you really want to fine tune it, some 2 and 3 thou shim stock will make a good set. Make the long enough to lap two screws so you don't set up a rocker under the tool. By the way, you only use two of the screws, the two closest to the point. The rear screw is for the tool mounted 90 degrees from the first. You can hold four tools in the post and just rotate the complete head to change tools. That's the theory anyway. I've always found the rake on the tools was never just right and I couldn't index the 4 way but had to find a spot in the center to get the tool where I wanted it.

Don