RCU Forums - View Single Post - Paint compatibility help please!!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Paint compatibility help please!!

ORIGINAL: alpinestar

My last idea (haven't tried yet) is to spray the dark blue Krylon into a cup & let the solvents evaporate off, then spray with an airbrush. Any thoughts on if this will help??
I often do this (spray the paint into a cup and let the solvents evaporate) when I need to touch up a small place, or just hand paint a part too difficult to spray and want a perfect paint match. HOWEVER--- Krylon is a fast-drying paint, and the solvents are the only thing that keeps it from setting. Once the solvents are gone, the paint will dry within a couple of minutes in a cup, and if you put them in an airbrush cup, they'll gum up quickly. I usually have only about three to five minutes working time using a brush before the paint gets too sticky to spread.

I've used the American Accents paint several times and it seems to work well, resists gasoline well, but needs a fuelproof clearcoat for glow. It needs to cure a week or so to overcoat, and I usually use Top Flite LustreKote to clearcoat and fuelproof.

Have you considered using latex, since you'r planning to clearcoat? You can take a paint chip to Lowe's (or your favorite home improvement warehouse) and they'll custom blend whatever color you want, usually no smaller than a quart.