RCU Forums - View Single Post - I need your help with a conversion
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need your help with a conversion

I have this plane in the stars and strips paint scheme. I set it up with an OS .46SF glow engine. I think it would be a good electric conversion project - lots of room in the cowl for a motor and lots of room in the fuse for batteries and ESC.

I would recommend a strong electric motor with equivalent .46 power. This is a fast airplane and you don't want a DOG on your hands. I am using a HXT 50-52B from Hextronics on another 46 size plane. This is a motor made in China and has great reports. Hextronics also makes an ESC that works with this motor (S60 ESC). The good news is you can get the motor for about $50 and the ESC for about $30. That's right - about $80 for the pair ! If the conversion does not work for you, then you have not spent your life savings. You can get these from United Hobbies (check the Internet).

The bad news is that you are going to find it somewhat expensive to purchase batteries for a power system that will give you the required Watts and 6-10 minutes flying time. A thumb rule for sports flying is about 150-200 Watts per pound. That equates to about 900 watts for this plane. To get that kind of power and 6-10 minutes of flying time, you need 15C-20C Lipo batteries with a total of 4000-5000 mah capacity. The HXT motor likes a higher voltage (4S-14volts or 6S-21volts). Batteries will cost you from $150 to $300 depending on what and where you buy.

This is a mouthful. Hope it helps.

More info on Electric Power Systems on my web site forum.
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net