RCU Forums - View Single Post - Excelleron 90
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Texas_Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Excelleron 90

I see this thread has been in hibernation for about 5 months... Hopefully some of you Excelleron 90 owners are still out there...

After much research, I have purchased an Excelleron 90 for my first pattern plane based on the great reports I've seen. I also have a friend at our field that flies the E-90 and it flies beautifully! I just bought one of the last models available online, so I may be one of the last to every build one of these...

I am trying to decide between the YS 110 and the Saito 125.
- The YS Pros: It allows me to move the fuel tank back if necessary which, though I don't need to do it on this plane, is a nice option to have. There's also lots of data on mounting the YS 110 in this plane.
- The YS Cons: I have heard some complaints that the YS's can be more difficult to tune and I'm pretty new to fuel planes - simpler is better for me. I hear that the YS engines shake more than others which could lead to more loose screws or rattles over time...
- Saito 125 Pros: I have a Saito 91 and it has been the perfect "crank it and run" engine with no issues. Saito has a great reputation for this. Because they are similar engines, my learning curve will be minimal. I don't know, but rumor is that the Saito 125 has a little more power than the YS. It is also about 3 oz lighter when comparing with stock mufflers.
- Saito 125 Cons: Not many have used this in the Excelleron 90.

Costs seem to be about the same. Any feedback? I'm leaning towards the Saito...

Tommy S, how's yours holding up? Did you have to make any special mods to use the Saito 125 other than move your throttle control to the other side?

Thanks,

Alan